Wednesday, June 8, 2016

An old fashioned hot milk cake

I have been looking around for vintage recipes from the Great Depression. The price of groceries have gone up so much, that I thought I would look for cheaper versions of some of my favorite recipes.

      

I happen to find an old bundt cake pan at the antique store several weeks ago, so an old fashioned bundt cake recipe was first on the list.

     
      
      

I searched on Pinterest and came across a recipe for a Hot Milk Cake.  I changed out the cows milk for goats milk and changed the chicken eggs for duck eggs.  I also used soft white wheat berries for the flour.
  
     

The recipe was very simple to make and before I knew it the house smelled wonderful.
  
Getting the cake out of the pan didn't go as planned but luckily I had enough batter left, so I tried again.  The second time worked much better. 
 
      

I have to say this might be my new favorite cake recipe.  The cake was sweet enough that it didn't even need a glaze or icing.  This was definitely worth making.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Our Life Recreated