Thursday, January 28, 2016

Big changes

Big changes are coming to the farm this weekend.  I had an opportunity to adopt a small herd of sheep from another homesteader and I jumped at the chance.  I never saw myself as a sheep farmer but after we rehomed the pigs I needed direction for this little piece of paradise I call home.



I always thought I wanted goats for the farm and I do love the four Nigerian Dwarfs that we have but I have fallen in love with the two Southdown Babydoll sheep that I add just about a year ago.  They are wool sheep that are compact in size and are very easy on fencing.   Their cute little faces greet me when I go to feed them everyday. 

recently read a book called "Sylvia's Farm" which made me reconsider sheep on my farm.  I love how the author describes her farm and the animals she takes care of.  I felt an instant connection to her and her animals.  I would love to go visit upstate New York just to see her farm.



I can't wait for this weekend.  Now to create more fenced in pasture and housing.  We will have lambs this spring.  Three maybe four of the ewes are pregnant which is scary and exciting all at once.  I just hope the weather cooperates so we don't have babies while it is cold.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Our Life Recreated