Saturday, January 2, 2016

The little ram lamb

I had an unexpected surprise yesterday with the arrival of a new farm member.  I got a call from a local sheep farmer asking me if I would like to bottle feed a ram lamb from his farm.  I am not sure where he got my name from but, I was flattered that someone thought about me for this task.

I arrived at this man's farm to find a skinny, long-legged brown and white lamb lying on a towel by the back door.  The gentleman told me they found him nearly frozen to death out in the field.  Evidently, his mother had twins and decided to only claim one lamb.  He was so frail that my heart immediately melted for him. 

Now I have a new sheep. Although mine are miniature Southdown Babydoll sheep, this little guy happens to be a Katahdin, which is a hair sheep developed in the US in the last 60 years.  This breed was not something I had thought to add to my farm, but I could not walk away from this little guy.  

I brought him home and he settled in at my feet on a blanket and has been there ever since.  I got him to take a bottle and after some cuddles he fell fast asleep.  At bedtime, he would not let me leave him so he ended up in bed with me sleeping on my neck all night.  

At About 1:30 in the morning I heard his stomach start to growl, but I was not going to go down this road of night feedings so I made him wait til 5:30.  I made him his 4 ounce bottle, but after warming up all night under the cover, he decided that 8 ounces was more to his liking.  

All day today, he has been following me around looking to eat a full bottle at every chance.  I am so glad he is doing well after almost losing his life and I think he will make a nice addition to the farm.  I am not sure what we are going to do with him, I am thinking of getting him some girlfriends, but I am sure we will figure it out. Now to name him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Our Life Recreated